Named after the founder, Ignatius Batthyani (1741-1798), Bishop of Transylvania, This has gained fame especially through collections that we value houses. The building was erected at the beginning of the 18th century, the site's inaugural festivities taking place at 19 June 1719. It was built as a church of the order of trinitarienilor ". Subsequent destinations have made her to be affected by the numerous transformations, that changed the original appearance, from the inner structure to the décor facades.
Interesting that the basement of the Church was destined to the tombs, being divided into small crypt square or rectangular rooms. After the abolition of the order trinitarienilor by Joseph II, Since 1785, the Church is transformed into a military hospital. Now the ship of the Church is divided into three levels, in the interior space anticommunist smaller rooms familiar to each other.
Since 1792, the building is taken up by Bishop Ignatius Batthyani which transforms it into the library and Observatory. The observer corps was erected above the flat roof of the former churches, taking the place of the two bell towers.
Astronomical Observatory founded by Bishop Batthyani was the most modern weather observer of what work in Transylvania, high value equipment being brought from England. Another novelty of this place is that the Greenwich Meridian passes through the site of the Observatory. Unfortunately, Today the Observatory astonomic is deprecated, and the appliances and tools lies in conservation.
The library was founded inside the former Church, where the vast space of the nave gets the great Hall or the main hall, where were the shelves for books. The beginnings of the founding of the library are linked to the 8.000 volume purchased in the year 1786, in Vienna, by Ignatius Batthyani from Cardinal Christopher Migazzi.
It is worth noting that the library accommodates over 635.000 copies of the book, of which 1.665 book manuscripts, over 600 incunables and about 60.000 of prints in the 16th-19th centuries, to which are added more than 10.000 documents, all worded in 30 languages and dialects of the ancient and present day.
He is given to library and that she possesses some of the most famous Western medieval manuscripts, Evangheliarul at Lorsch, mostly known under the name of Codex Aureus. From manuscript conducted at the request of King Charlemagne in the year 810 store in Alba Iulia, his Gospels of mark and Matthew (the rest lies in the Vatican Library, and covers decorated with reliefs in ivory mounted in gold, are found, one in the Vatican, the other at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London), both the written text with unciale gold on parchment.
If you did not know, The New Testament was printed for the first time in Alba Iulia in Romanian 1648 known as: The New Testament of Bălgrad. Writing has been worked in typography of Mihai Viteazul, and currently, Batthyaneum Library holds more .
Require entrance fee:Not